view counter

Museum of the Cherokee Indian

Description: 

"To perpetuate the history, culture, and stories of the Cherokee people."

To accomplish this mission, the museum maintains a permanent exhibit, extensive artifact collection, archives, education programs, artist series, and a gift shop. The museum also publishes the Journal of Cherokee Studies.

The Museum of the Cherokee Indian opened in 1948 and moved to its present facility in 1976. Its exhibit was totally renovated in 1998, when a new 12,000-square-foot exhibit was installed. The museum is a non-profit organization with 501(c)3 status, and it operates self-sufficiently based on admissions revenue and gift shop sales.

The museum has helped to revitalize the stamped pottery tradition by creating and working with the Cherokee Potters Guild; traditional dance by sponsoring the Warriors of AniKituhwa; traditional 18th century Cherokee dress; feather capes; and language. Because of this work, the museum received the Community Traditions Award from the North Carolina Arts Council.

One Sentence Description: 
Perpetuating the history, culture, and stories of the Cherokee people.
Museum Collections: 

The Archives contain material pertaining to the Cherokee:

four thousand books (some quite old and rare)
one thousand black and white photographs from the 1880s and 1930s
manuscript materials c. 1830present
William H. Thomas Collection–papers and diaries from 1834–1899
nine hundred reels of microfilm of documents from foreign archives
some original material in the Cherokee syllabary

The new Education and Research Wing will open soon. Check here for the schedule of hours. Museum members and qualified scholars may conduct research free of charge. Please make an appointment at least a week in advance with Archivist James "Bo" Taylor. In the meantime, you may search our archival database online at: Museum Online Archival Catalog

Contact Phone Number: 
828-497-3481

Location

Museum of the Cherokee Indian
589 Tsali Boulevard
Cherokee , NC 28719
United States
35° 29' 21.1308" N, 83° 18' 54.0216" W